The current infant formula shortage has us all concerned. Prior to starting Nunona, our founder led global marketing and innovation for a major infant formula company so this hits close to home. Nunona was founded on the insight that breastfeeding moms need nutritional support too, and we are working hard to correct this imbalance.
With a solution still months away you may be more determined than ever to be successful with breastfeeding. This is exactly what we’ve designed Nunona’s Mama Balls for, to help you reach your breastfeeding goals.
Here is how we do that:
1. Provide much needed calories
A daily serving of Nunona Mama Balls provides on average 270 calories. This is just over half the additional calories required for breastfeeding as breastfeeding moms require an extra 500 calories a day1 to cope with the additional demand of producing breast milk and taking care of baba.
2. Provide nutrients, not empty calories
The content of some nutrients in breastmilk does not vary significantly, regardless of what you eat. One example is protein, which does not change from day-to-day, week-to-week or during a short maternal dietary intervention or change.2 Some nutrients on the other hand need to be consumed for them to be transferred to baba via breastfeeding. These nutrients are vitamin A, B6, B12, folate, iodine, selenium and some fatty acids.1,3 When a mom has a deficiency in these nutrients, the levels of it in her breast milk will also be low, which may affect her baby’s brain and body development. We’ve selected ingredients that contain some of these nutrients (such as B-vitamins, iron and omega 3 fatty acids) for our Mama Balls to help you get the nutrients you need for your baby.
3. Convenient packaging helps you save time!
In the early days, new moms often find it hard to remember to nourish themselves, because they are so consumed with taking care of their new baby. Nunona Mama Balls are packed in a unique “pill-box” design box. Each box contains a week’s supply of Mama Balls. This convenient packaging makes it easier for moms to consume the much needed energy and they can do it whilst breastfeeding.
4. Tasty, guilt free snack
Nunona Mama Balls taste great! And because it is made from organic ingredients which provide quality and essential nutrients, you don’t have to feel guilty for consuming.
While ‘why don’t you just breastfeed’ isn’t a solution to the infant formula crisis we understand that having the alternative unavailable makes breastfeeding even more important for new moms and we are here to support you along the way.
- Kominiarek, M.A. and Rajan, P. 2016. Nutrition Recommendations in Pregnancy and Lactation, Med Clin North Am., 100(6): 1199–1215. doi:10.1016/j.mcna.2016.06.004.
- Geddes, D.T., Gridneva, Z., Perrella, S.L., Mitoulas, L.R., Kent, J.C., Stinson, L.F., Lai, C.T., Sakalidis, V., Twigger, A.-J., Hartmann, P.E. 2021. 25 Years of research in human lactation: From discovery to translation. Nutrients, 13, 3071.
- Innis, S.M. 2014. Impact of maternal diet on human milk composition and neurological development of infants. Am J Clin Nutr. 99(3):734S-41S.